Annual grand Hackathon & competition
Apps and Girls is preparing its first annual Hackathon and competition for girls of ages 10-18. Besides the several months the girls have spent coding in their respective code clubs in schools, the girls have learnt how to generate entrepreneurial ideas supported by digital platforms like websites or blogs basing on the following categories: health, education, tourism, fashion, entertainment, humanitarian, agriculture, gender and children. We have more than 40 groups registered working on different projects with the help of our mentors they will be able to complete their projects and present the final products. This will be a 2 days event, with first day as a hackathon where the girls will work together with their mentors to complete their products and learn pitching skills, the same day we will have a 3 hour session of presentations to choose 20 groups who will make it to the finals. The next day will be final competition and the girls will present to the jury. By the end of this event we expect the girls will be strongly motivated , inspired and proud of their work , gain more confidence, learn pitching skills, networking and some companies or NGOs will be created later.
Lunch, drinks and mid-morning snacks will be provided free.
Them: Code for Change
1st place: 500,000/= plus 6 months free website hosting, free Word press training and incubation at Apps & Girls
2nd place: 300,000/= plus 6 months free website hosting, free Word press training and incubation at Apps & Girls
3rd place: 200,000/= plus 6 months free website hosting, free Word press training and incubation at Apps & Girls
All participants who made it to finals will also be awarded 3 months free web site hosting at Apps & Girls
- Inspire and motivate girls to code or get involved in ICT and Computer science
- motivate and inspire girls to be innovative and creative
- create awareness of benefits of Technology especially Computer science
- reduce the stereotype of ICT/computer science is for boys in the community .
- Give girls an opportunity to meet potential investors, build great network.
- Motivate and support girls to create employment and change the community too.
- Help the girls understand how they can improve their lives through coding.
- Proposed length of the workshop: 2 days
- Proposed date: 12-13 December 2014
- Venue: NCT
- An estimate of 150 Girls of ages 10-18 years old.
- Visiting parents